Helping you achieve your saving ambitions faster by automatically increasing your monthly contributions each year until you tell us to stop
Making the most of your ISA allowance makes financial sense, and like many things in life, can be made easier when you have a plan.
From the new tax year, 6th April 2020, we’ve updated the Monthly Savings ISA to introduce the Metfriendly Escalator. It’s an alternative new way to paying premiums into Monthly Savings and Junior ISAs.
Giving you options for how to invest
The Metfriendly Escalator is an option you can add to your ISA, where your contributions are automatically increased each year until you tell us to stop. You are in control to increase, stop or alter your contributions at any time.
You can add the Metfriendly Escalator option at any time, but obviously the sooner you start the sooner you will see a difference in the amount you save.
Work out the amount you want to start paying into your fund. For the Monthly Savings ISA it’s a minimum £30 a month when choosing Metfriendly Escalator and £50 a month when not (£30 minimum monthly contribution for Junior ISA).
You can still add lump sums as and when you want, subject to the usual ISA allowances:
- £20,000 per annum for an adult
- £9,000 for a child (from tax year 2020/21) with a Junior ISA.
How does it work?
- Metfriendly Escalator allows you to build up your savings, with contributions automatically increasing each year, until you tell us to stop.
- The increase will take place each April starting in the following calendar year. For example, if you start your plan at £50 per month from September, and set the Metfriendly Escalator at £20, your monthly contributions will automatically increase to £70 per month the next April. For the following tax year your monthly payment would be £90, and increase by the same amount each year afterwards.
- You can still vary, add a lump sum, stop or restart your monthly contributions at any time.
An easier way to save
Imagine you have a Monthly Savings ISA and set the Metfriendly Escalator at £20 and you start of by saving £30 a month. Your first year’s contributions will be £30 per month rising to £50 per month in April in the following tax year and by the same amount each year afterwards. The Table below illustrates the impact the Metfriendly Escalator will have had on the amount you will have saved compared to a fixed contribution of £50 a month. an investment fund of £14,400 after 10 years.
|Contribution per month||Amount saved with Metfriendly Escalator||Amount saved with fixed £50/month|
In both cases each fund would be eligible for the annual and final bonuses – but the rewards are more than double for those who use the Metfriendly Escalator, simply based on the amount of capital that is invested.
With no upper limit for protected funds
Plus, don’t forget we have no upper limit on the amount protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) meaning that, unlike the FSCS Deposit and Investment Scheme, your policies are protected beyond £85,000 with unlimited protection.